Thursday, October 21, 2021

Maya Vs Houdini Vs Motion Builder Manipulation Hotkeys

 As someone who has used many different programs for different projects, I just wanted to talk about the different hotkeys between Maya, Houdini, and Motion Builder. I am someone who lives in maya so the hotkeys are very natural to use.  When I go to different programs, it can be hard at first to use because the hotkeys are different.  Often times without thinking about it, I automatically start using the maya hotkeys while in different programs and it doesn't always work so well.  I call this maya brain.

In maya there are many hotkeys but I'm just going to mention the hot keys for the manipulation tool (translate, rotate, scale).  These are the keys I use most often, so depending on what you work on there are other hotkeys you may use.

The big three hotkeys are:

W: Transform Tool

E: Rotate Tool

R: Scale Tool

You may hear of the Q hotkey, it's the selection tool.


For Houdini, the manipulation tool is a bit different.  It's been a while since I have used Houdini, but when I did some projects in this program getting the manipulation keys is what was hardest for me to get used to.

E: Scale Tool

R: Rotate Tool

T: Translate Tool

R and T are easy to remember because R for rotate and T for translate


Motion Builder also has different hotkeys.  I haven't been in this program for a while but it is a program I want to know more about.  It's hotkeys are easy to remember.

T: Translate Selection

R: Scale Uniform

S: Rotate Selection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scaling Your Controllers when they are Connected

 Sometimes when you are working on a rig, you may need to go back and adjust your controllers size a little bit.  This is possible without b...