Friday, October 15, 2021

Examining Typology on The Pink Haired Girl Model

 For my Facial Rigging class with Jose Antonio Martin Martin at CGMA, I decided to create a facial rig for this Pink Haired Girl modeled by Hannah Kang.  It is a toned down version of the original model but I really liked the design of the character.  I was also curious about rigging hair so I am also excited to learn how to rig hair using this character.  

Maya 2022 Pink Haired Girl by Hannah Kang

Following along with the class, I first checked the model and was seeing the flow of the typology.  I hid the hair. The model is very smooth, so creating wrinkles would not make this character look good.  There is also two stars by the nose and the cheek.  This actually helps the cheeks.  There are a few areas that will be a little problematic like the bridge of the nose or the back of the head just because of the typology but overall the typology looks clean and good to use.

Maya 2022 Pink Haired Girl Checking Typology

I also checked for teeth, tongue, and looked at how the eyes are set up.  For teeth and tongue there is a simple model inside the mouth.  When checking out the eyes I saw that there is an eyeball geo which is clear and then an iris geo which gives the character their eye color. 
 To fix the typology on the bridge of the nose I considered using the quadraw tool and recreating the typology but I felt that I could solve the problem in less time by editing the edge loops.  I took the head model and made it live and then duplicated it.  I hid the original and then worked on my copy of the head geometry.  I then worked with using the multicut tool and edited the edge loops.  The I worked on smoothing out the edge loops and I cut the model in half.

Maya 2022 Face Model Cut in Half

Since I made edits to the typology and smoothed it manually, this makes the typology on the head uneven.  To make it symmetrical I made sure I had the correct vertex points selected and then I put 0 in the X-axis for the absolute value.  This just makes sure that the points are on 0.  Then I selected my typology and mirrored. 

Maya 2020 Fixed Nose Edge Loops and Symmetrical Head

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scaling Your Controllers when they are Connected

 Sometimes when you are working on a rig, you may need to go back and adjust your controllers size a little bit.  This is possible without b...